Thermal Characterization Facilities
Thermal characterization is a range of advanced techniques for characterizing the thermal behaviour of materials. It is an indispensable tool for solving materials related problems in both research and quality control. In the Nano-Interconnection Lab there are different thermal characterization equipments which can be used to characterize:
- Polymers: thermoplastic, thermoset, or elastomers
- Co-polymers, blends and additives (plasticizers, stabilizers, fillers, pigments, etc.)
- Metals, metal oxides, metallic salts
- Solder materials
- Nanocomposites: polymer-metal, metal-metal
- Pharmaceuticals, catalyst systems
- Clays and minerals
- Lubricants, greases, adhesives
Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
Differential scanning calorimetry is a thermoanalytical technique which measures the difference in the amount of heat required to increase the temperature of a sample and reference as a function of temperature.
- Melting temperatures
- Glass transition temperatures
- Specific heat capacity
- Degree of cure
- Degree of crystallinity
Fig. 1 Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) which measures the temperature and energy of a transition or reaction (temp. range: -150 °C to +600 °C).
Xenon Flash Thermal Constant Analyzer
What is the heating or cooling load for a house or the cooling requirement for an automobile or aircraft engine? In order to answer these questions, the Thermophysical properties of the materials must be known over the temperature range of interest. One of the most important of these properties is the thermal diffusivity, which can be measured with the Linseis XFA over the temperature range of -50 to 500°C.
- Contact free non-destructive testing of thermal diffusivity and thermal conductivity of solids and liquids as per ASTM E1461 standard
- Samples can be measured in N2, He, vacuum and in ambient.
- Variable temperature platform (-50 °C to 500 °C)
- Automated sample exchanger- can accommodate 3 to 6 samples
- Capability to measure heat capacity
Fig. 2 Xenon Flash thermal constant analyzer system; Model- XFA 500; Vendor- Linseis Germany.
Dr. Kafil M. Razeeb