COM-14 Principal Researcher - Piezoelectric MEMS
Contract Type: Full Time/Fixed Term
Tyndall National Institute is a leading European research centre in integrated ICT (Information and Communications Technology) hardware and systems. Specialising in both electronics and photonics – materials, devices, circuits and systems – we are globally leading in our core research areas of:
- Smart sensors and systems
- Optical communication systems
- Mixed signal and analog circuit design
- Microelectronic and photonic integration
- Semiconductor wafer fabrication
- Nano materials and device processing
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork has an established PiezoMEMS team who for many years have been developing various types of smart materials with a focus on piezoelectrics. The team specializes primarily in the deposition of CMOS compatible Aluminium Nitride material and its integration into various devices such as vibrational energy harvesters, acoustic resonators, ultrasonic transducers and actuators. The team also worked with other piezoelectric materials such as PVDF, PZT, Lithium Niobate, and quartz. The primary goal is to further optimize and enhance the piezoelectric properties of Aluminium Nitride and develop fabrication and integration methods for other piezoelectric materials for MEMS applications.
Funding for this work has been provided by global industry players, Science Foundation Ireland, Enterprise Ireland and the EU H2020 programme.
The Group now wishes to hire a Principal Researcher in Piezoelectric MEMS materials, processes and applications development. This position will report to the Head of Group.
Responsible for the management and delivery of all aspects of basic materials R&D, process design and development and device fabrication of piezoMEMS components using both existing and novel materials deposition, test and characterisation as well as associated circuits, system integration and applications.
- Manage and sustain a growing research team in piezoMEMS technology, components, circuits and applications generating world-beating, high impact, research outputs that will deliver highly trained graduate students, innovative technology platforms, commercialisable intellectual property and key publications and presentations in leading journals and international conferences.
- Provide leadership, management, coaching, mentoring and career development for an experienced team of professional research staff, and postgraduate students.
- Secure sustainable funding from both industry and public organisations such as SFI, EI and EU H2020 in order to increase the scale of the team and to ensure its long term sustainability.
- Lead the definition and implementation of the Team’s strategic research agenda and roadmap in line with Tyndall’s strategic research plans and in conjunction with Tyndall senior management.
- Attract and recruit world-class research staff and post-graduate students in order to build a world-leading research team.
- Manage liaison with other Tyndall teams including Tyndall Fab, Business Development, Test and Characterisation, Packaging and Failure Analysis.
- To lead, define, manage and deliver project tasks, deliverables including reports, process documentation, intellectual property capture (both know-how and patents), technical publications and presentations for both internal and external customers.
- Build high impact, collaborative relationships with world-leading researchers, in Tyndall and in both national and international academia and industry.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post i.e. procurement, training, risk assessments, equipment qualifications.
- Flexibility and adaptability in provision of technical support including a willingness to work flexible hours maybe required.
- Ensure compliance with Tyndall’s Health and Safety standards and with Tyndall’s Quality Management System with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
PhD Qualified, in Engineering, Science, Physics or related discipline.
- Min. 10 years of hands-on experience in a commercial or R&D wafer fabrication facility in one or more of the following process technologies:
o semiconductor fabrication
o Piezoelectric technologies
o process engineering
o component design, test and characterisation
- Demonstrated knowledge of the theory and application fields for piezoelectric based MEMS technologies, devices and applications.
- Demonstrated ability to lead high performing, cross-functional teams (including PIs, researchers, engineers and graduate students) to collaboratively develop novel technologies, processes and devices.
- Track record of successful project completion and a focus on delivery of projects on schedule and within budget
- Track record of publications in journals, conferences and/or patents.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including successful negotiation
- with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Proven ability in report writing, process documentation, operating procedures, publications and presentations.
- Demonstrated success in acquiring research funding from competitive National/ International/ Industry sources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of idea-generation and problem solving techniques.
- Experience of technology transfer, IP and patent processes.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Cian O’Mathuna at email@example.com
Appointment may be made on the Grade7 (Admin I) Scale B (new entrants) salary scale €68,858 - €89,899.
Closing date for application is 30th November 2018 at 5pm.
Step 1 - click here to download and complete the Application form.
Step 2 - return the completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted. No late applications will be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.