Senior Researcher Piezoelectric MEMS - MicroNanoSystems Centre
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
Tyndall National Institute is a leading European research centre in integrated ICT (Information and Communications Technology) hardware and systems. Specialising in both electronics and photonics – encompassing materials, devices, circuits and systems – we are globally leading in our core research areas of:
- Smart sensors and systems
- Optical communication systems
- Mixed signal and analog circuit design
- Microelectronic and photonic integration
- Semiconductor wafer fabrication
- Nano materials and device processing
Within Tyndall’s MicroNanoSystems Centre, we have an established PiezoMEMS team who, for many years, have been developing various types of smart materials with a focus on piezoelectrics. The team specializes primarily in the deposition of CMOS-compatible Aluminium Nitride thin film material and its integration into various devices such as vibrational energy harvesters, acoustic resonators, ultrasonic transducers and actuators. The team also works with other piezoelectric materials such as PVDF, PZT, Lithium Niobate and quartz. The primary goal is to further optimize and enhance the piezoelectric properties of Aluminium Nitride, develop fabrication and integration methods for other piezoelectric materials and prototype system applications in communications, health, energy and the environment, specifically around precision agriculture.
Funding for this work has been provided by global industry players, Science Foundation Ireland, Enterprise Ireland and the EU H2020 programme.
The Group now wishes to hire a Senior Researcher in piezoelectrics for the fabrication, characterisation and application of piezoMEMS components. This is an ideal position for someone with the ambition to further their career in MEMS research and position themselves to become a future technology team leader.
Reporting to the Principal Researcher PiezoMEMS, the Senior Researcher will have a background in the development and application of MEMS and microsystem technologies. They will be responsible for the management and delivery of selected aspects from basic materials R&D, process design and development, design and fabrication of piezo components using both existing and novel bulk and thin-film materials as well as characterisation and test of materials and devices.
- To undertake world-leading research on Aluminium Nitride and other piezoelectric materials for the development of innovative MEMS components and their integration into high impact applications.
- Contribute to the management of fabrication, design and characterisation activities including process design, development and fabrication of proof-of-concept piezoelectric devices and prototypes for applications such as energy harvesting, sensors, RF resonators, micro-pumps and ultrasonic transducers.
- Manage the definition, management and delivery of specific projects, tasks, deliverables including reports, process documentation, intellectual property capture (both know-how and patents) and technical publications and presentations for both internal and external audiences.
- Build a small high-calibre team of researchers and graduate students and undertake the associated operational management and mentoring of the team.
- Actively pursue funding applications from Irish and/or international agencies and/or industry to support existing and new research fields in terms of novel materials, devices and applications.
- Manage liaison with other relevant technology experts in Tyndall in the areas of: MEMS and Microsystems Fabrication; Thin-film materials processing; Material and Components Characterisation and Test as well as Packaging and Failure Analysis.
- Support the engagement with external project partners, in academia and industry, contributing to preparation of proposals, statements of work, costings and quotations.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post i.e. procurement, training, risk assessments, performance reviews, equipment qualifications.
- Flexibility and adaptability in provision of technical support including a willingness to work flexible hours may be required.
- Ensure compliance with Tyndall’s Health and Safety standards and with Tyndall’s Quality Management System with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- PhD Qualified, in Engineering, Science, Physics or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years’ post PhD, experience in a commercial or R&D MEMS programme in two or more of the following areas:
- semiconductor fabrication
- Piezoelectric technologies
- process engineering
- component design, test and characterisation
- Proven ability to collaborate in cross-functional teams (including researchers, engineers and graduate students) to develop novel technologies, processes, devices and integrate them into innovative solutions.
- Experience in the supervision of staff or students.
- Track record of publications in leading journals, conferences and/or patents.
- Demonstrated success in acquiring funding from one or more of the following sources - National, International and/or Industry.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as in teams, with a track record of successful project completion and a focus on delivery of projects on schedule and within budget
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including successful engagement with both internal and external customers/stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability in managing researchers and/or graduate students.
- Track record of engaging with external academic and/or industry partners in advanced MEMS projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of idea-generation and problem solving techniques.
- Experience of technology transfer, IP and patent processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the theory and application fields for piezoelectric-based MEMS technologies and devices.
- Proven ability in report writing, process documentation, operating procedures, publications and presentations.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Cian O’Mathuna at email@example.com
Appointment may be made on the Grade 6 Admin III scale (B) €49,181 - €58,719. In all instances the successful appointment will be at the first point of the scale.
Closing date for applications for this position is 31st December 2018, at 5pm.
Step 1 - click here to download and complete the application form
Step 2 – return completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted. No late applications will be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.