COM-20 Centre Administrator – Tyndall MicroNano Systems Centre
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
Tyndall National Institute is a leading European research centre in integrated ICT (Information and Communications Technology) hardware and systems, specialising in both micro/nano electronics and photonics – materials, devices, circuits and systems. Central to our national role is delivering economic impact through research excellence. We work with people in industry and academia to transform research into commercialisable technology platforms in our core market areas of electronics, communications, energy, health, agri-food, the environment and advanced manufacturing.
With more than 600 researchers and professional support staff, including 130 graduate students, we generate over €40m in income each year with approximately 85% coming from competitively won contracts. With a network of over 200 industry partners and customers worldwide, we are focused on delivering real impact from our excellent research.
Tyndall is a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural institution with over 50 nationalities representing a wide range of disciplines from science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to technology commercialisation, project management, financial management, HR, marketing/communications and facilities management.
MicroNano Systems Centre
In the MicroNano Systems Centre we work on advanced research into technologies and platforms for miniaturised, smart, autonomous, wireless sensor devices and systems that will enable the future 1 Trillion Sensor economy.
We currently have more than 140 staff and 80 graduate students. This includes a cohort of over 50 Principal Investigators within 12 Research groups which undertake deep-tech research across domains which span the “atoms to systems” landscape.
With an annual budget of over €15million, we are organised into 5 Research Clusters which orientate the Centre’s research agenda around 5 Strategic themes namely Bioelectronics, Agritech/Environment, Wearable Electronics, Energy for the Internet of Things and CMOS++.
We host a number of large-scale SFI-funded research Centres which include: AMBER (nano materials and technologies), CONFIRM (advanced manufacturing technologies), CONNECT (future networks and communications), INSIGHT (data analytics) and VISTAMILK (precision agriculture).
We now invite applications for a Centre Administrator of the MNS Centre. Reporting to the Head of Centre, you will operate as a member of the Centre’s Operations Management Team and will be responsible for the administration and support of a range of activities in support of the management of the day-to-day activities of the Centre. This will involve working closely with the Head of Centre, Operations Manager and the Operations Team, Group Heads and Programme Managers within the MNS Centre and other functions both internal and external to Tyndall to ensure that the centre operates effectively and efficiently while all relevant policies are adhered to. It will also require supporting the implementation of financial, budgetary, general administrative structures and additional projects as required within the Centre.
- Efficiently manage all aspects of administration of the Centre.
- Assist the Centre and its partners in all administrative functions and assist the Head of Centre, Operations Manager, Group Heads and Programme Managers with the implementation and management of appropriate administrative structures and procedures.
- Organise the smooth operation of the Centre administration on a day-to-day basis including the development of effective processes, where required.
- Deal with complex and non-routine queries from staff and external contacts where relevant.
- Organise and coordinate, in a timely manner, required meetings, accurate minute taking and coordination of follow-up actions
- Assist with the implementation and maintenance of intellectual property procedures for the Centre.
- Liaise with Tyndall’s Marketing and Communications Team and relevant internal/external parties to support the development, management and maintenance of marketing materials, PR needs and communications platforms including the Centre website and PR requirements.
- Support the recruitment process for new staff and students regarding preparation of the relevant documentation, advertising and correspondence relating to the appointments process.
- Manage and provide support for external commitments of the Head of Centre and Operations Manager, including preparations for board meetings, project review meetings, conference organisation, participation in external committees.
- Liaise and develop relationships with relevant bodies external to Tyndall, including key UCC contacts and external funding agencies.
- Administer all relevant budgetary function responsibilities including purchasing and cost controls for the Centre.
- Work with Tyndall Finance Manager to produce summarised concise financial updates and analysis for review by the Head of Centre, Operations Manager, Programme Managers and PIs.
- Ensure accurate consolidated financial and technical reports are submitted to grant funding agencies within defined deadlines.
- Provide support for incoming visitors and for related seminars/workshops, including any travel arrangements/accommodation and facilities.
- Provide support for Centre Staff in terms of travel arrangements/accommodation and facilities
- Manage all necessary procurement for the Centre and process related paperwork.
- Review expenses claims for staff, students and visitors to the Centre, ensuring that all expenses are eligible.
- Arrange periodic Centre and project meetings, colloquia and training courses.
- Liaise with the appropriate offices concerning security, safety, maintenance and IT issues within the Centre.
- Provide back-fill support to the CEO PA and other centre administrator positions from time to time as required.
- Support events organised by Tyndall centrally as required.
- Develop and manage an efficient tracking and filing system to allow for immediate access and retrieval of all documentation.
- Ensure strict confidentiality and discretion on all recruitment/budgetary/financial and staffing matters.
- Ensure adherence to all Tyndall/UCC procedures and policies as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system and the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may be reasonably required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A relevant educational qualification.
- Typically, 5 years’ experience in a similar role at a similar level.
- Previous financial admin experience, including procurement, processing of invoices and expenses.
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of products (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Previous experience of supporting senior executives in a fast moving environment.
- Experience interacting with government agencies and departments.
- Knowledge and experience of a research environment in the private or public sector.
- Professional, discrete and confidential in approach at all times with an accommodating and efficient manner.
- Excellent administration, organisational, communication and interpersonal skills with an eye for detail. Ability to multi-task and a flexibility and willingness to work additional hours when required.
- Ability to work on own initiative, both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong internal and external customer service orientation with the ability to work effectively to achieve tight deadlines.
- Experience in project management and knowledge of MS Project software or similar.
- Previous experience of administration of online communications (e.g. website CMS, social media posts).
- Previous experience in event and exhibition planning and support.
Appointment may be made on the SEA Admin Scale (B) €32,646 - €46,643. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
For any informal queries, please contact Prof. Cian O’Mathuna at firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Monday, 28th April 2021.
Step 1 - Click here to download and complete the application form and indicate Job Reference COM-20.
Step 2 - Return the completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer