COM-24 Principal Scientist - Piezoelectric MEMS / Microsystems
Contract Type: Full Time/Fixed Term
Tyndall National Institute is a leading European research centre in integrated ICT (Information and Communications Technology) hardware and systems. Specialising in both electronics and photonics – materials, devices, circuits and systems – we are globally leading in our core research areas of:
- Smart sensors and systems
- Optical communication systems
- Mixed signal and analog circuit design
- Microelectronic and photonic integration
- Semiconductor wafer fabrication
- Nano materials and device processing
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork has an established PiezoMEMS team which, for many years, has been developing smart materials and MEMS devices with a focus on piezoelectrics.
The PiezoMEMS Group is part of the world leading MicroNano Systems Centre that has recently won global awards for its micro-magnetics on silicon technology (MagIC - Making Magnetics Disappear onto Silicon).
The PiezoMEMS team specializes primarily in the deposition of CMOS compatible Aluminium Nitride (AlN) and Aluminium Scandium Nitride (AlScN) thin film materials and their integration into various MEMS devices such as RF Filters and resonators, ultrasonic transducers and actuators, and vibrational energy harvesters. The team works on both 200mm (8 inch) and 100mm (4 inch) wafer diameters.
The team also works with other piezoelectric materials such as PVDF, PZT, Lithium Niobate, and quartz.
Key applications for the teams’ research include Reconfigurable RF Front-Ends for 5G/6G, PMUTs for next generation medical devices and piezo membranes for drug delivery. Funding for this work has been provided by global industry partners, Science Foundation Ireland, Enterprise Ireland and the EU.
We now wish to hire a Principal Scientist to drive the PiezoMEMS research programme. Your role will involve the management of a research team and its research which encompasses materials R&D, process design and development, device fabrication, test and characterisation.
- Lead and develop a growing research team in piezoMEMS technology, components and applications generating excellent research outputs that will deliver trained graduate students, innovative and commercialisable technology and intellectual property and key publications/presentations in leading journals and international conferences.
- Provide leadership and management to existing research staff and postgraduate students while growing the team through the attraction and recruitment of high quality research staff and post-graduate students.
- Lead the definition and implementation of the team’s research strategy in line with the Tyndall2025 strategic plan.
- Attract funding from both industry and public organisations such as Science Foundation Ireland, Enterprise Ireland and Europe in order to grow and sustain a world-leading research activity.
- Manage liaison with other Tyndall teams including Tyndall Fab, Business Development, Test and Characterisation, Packaging and Failure Analysis.
- Lead, define, manage and deliver project tasks, deliverables including reports, process documentation, intellectual property capture (both know-how and patents), technical publications and presentations for both internal and external customers.
- Build high impact, collaborative relationships with world-leading researchers, in Tyndall and in both national and international academia and industry.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure compliance with Tyndall’s Health and Safety standards and with Tyndall’s Quality Management System with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- PhD qualified, in Engineering, Science, Physics or related technical discipline.
- Typically 10 years of hands-on experience in a commercial or R&D wafer fabrication facility in one or more of the following areas:
- Semiconductor fabrication
- MEMS/microsystems fabrication
- Piezoelectric technologies
- Fabrication process development / engineering / integration
- Microsystems component design, simulation, test and characterisation
- Packaging and integration at wafer or chip level
- Expertise in the theory and application of piezoelectric-based MEMS technologies, devices and applications.
- Experience of publishing research in journals/conferences and/or via granted patents.
- Evidence of leadership in leading a technology or research team to develop novel MEMS/microsystems technologies and devices.
- Proven ability in successful project completion with a focus on delivery on schedule and within budget
- Experience in acquiring research funding from competitive National, International and/or Industry sources.
- Capability in communications encompassing report writing, process documentation, operating procedures, publications and presentations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of idea-generation and problem solving techniques.
- Experience of technology transfer, IP and patent processes.
- Experience in supervision of graduate students studying at Masters and/or PhD.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Cian O’Mathuna at firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointment may be made on the Grade7 Admin Scale B (new entrants) salary scale €72,946- €96,093. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Closing date of applications is Friday, 29th July, 2022.
Step 1 - Click here to download and complete the application form and indicate Job Reference COM-24.
Step 2 - Return the completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com. Please ensure that your motivation letter, cv and application letter are submitted in pdf format.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer