GM-09 Senior Research Engineer
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Reporting to the Head of Group, the successful candidate will contribute to the research activity in sub-10nm device forensics (SCM, SSRM), electrical characterization (including LabVIEW development and real-time data acquisition), as well as supporting the service activity in the Electron Microscopy & Analysis Facility (EMAF).
- Acting as activity area liaison/ specific work on designated projects and providing reports as required
- Information transfer to people involved in analysis in assigned technology area(s)
- Coaching and mentoring of other Device Forensics personnel when requested in areas of equipment use, quality control and problem solving.
- Documentation and control responsibility for all processes and procedures related to the area(s)
- Liaising with contractors and external consultants on process issues/new technology /equipment introduction
- Provide monthly and ad-hoc reports to group and/or centre head
- Acts as Manager designate when required
- Developing new processes within the assigned technology area(s)
- Sample preparation for microscopic examination and acquisition of high-resolution images as required
- Provision for safe handling, use, storage and disposal of all chemicals and materials used in the microscopy suite
- Maintenance of supply inventory and reordering of consumables as necessary
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- Developing/refining work practices/systems to ensure alignment with current best practice and to meet the needs of the centre
- Work with personnel from different groups within Tyndall to promote cross lab learning and knowledge transfer
- Use of electronic work flow system to ensure efficiency and control of laboratory processes
Customers / Users
- Liaise with customers and translate customer requirements into practical processes and solutions
- Prepare cost assessments/quotations for projects
- Responsibility for management of project / other deliverables for internal / external customers
- Communication of results to internal and external customers (written and oral reports)
- Support training programmes for the users and researchers applying for equipment access as appropriate.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management System with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards including generation and review of Risk Assessments (RAs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and promote and implementing safe working practices within laboratory areas
- PhD in one of the following disciplines: Physics, Electrical or Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Materials Science or Physical Chemistry.
- Typically 6+ years Electrical Characterisation / Device Forensics experience in a commercial or R&D facility
- At least 3 years of experience in the operation of Fib and TEM.
- Experience of dealing with contractors/vendors/customers
- Track record in planning projects and liaising with all concerned
- Experience in SFI/EU and/or transnational research projects
- National Instruments Certified LabView Developer (CLD) with several years of LabVIEW programming experience
- Experience in training individual users or groups in programming and/or metrology tool operation, e.g. SEM/TEM/FIB/AFM
- Proficient in the use of electrical parameter analysers and carrying out on-wafer semiconductor device testing and analysis
- Track record of high quality peer reviewed publications, as evidenced by h-index
Appointment may be made on the Grade 6 Admin III Scale (B) €50,042 - €59,746. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Closing Date for Applications is 17th April, 2020.
Step 1 - Click here to download the application form and indicate COM-17 as the Job Reference
Step 2 - Return the completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.