Contract: Full Time/ Fixed Term
Purpose of Role
Reporting to the Head of Centre - Specialty Products and Services, the Head of Group - Infrastructure Access Programmes, will be responsible for all aspects of Tyndall’s infrastructure access programmes. The role requires a significant degree of decision-making in terms of overall strategic direction of the programmes, including day-to-day management of the programme, technical decisions related to resources, both financial and people as well as mapping technical needs to the infrastructure available within Tyndall.
- Securing programme funding through both national and international funding routes
- Developing strategy and structures for the development and effective implementation of the programmes
- Delivering high quality project outputs, reporting all outputs to the highest levels in national and international agencies & relevant government departments
- Managing interfaces to all key stakeholders
- Ensuring that the infrastructure access programmes are at the core of Tyndall activity and to motivate over 200 Tyndall researchers to work on the research projects arising from the programmes
- Translation of decisions in to systems that are robust and re-usable by the immediate teams involved and the wider community and are incorporated in to the Tyndall Quality System
- Driving the generation of impact from research from the programmes
- Responsible for the financial aspects of the multi-million euro programmes
- Managing the access team to deliver the programmes from promotion through to undertaking and delivering the projects
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A degree qualification in ICT related areas, and significant scientific and technical knowledge across a range of technologies including in-depth knowledge of the core areas of micro/nanotechnologies and photonics
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience delivering on strategic technical targets related to infrastructure access programmes, in a complex research environment, at both a national and international level.
- A track record of setting up and running infrastructure access programmes
- A track record of managing staff in the delivery of access programmes. Excellent people management and supervisory skills and experience with a proven track record of managing teams both through a line management role and through matrix management within a complex environment as the projects involve researchers from across Tyndall (with each having their own research priorities)
- Thorough knowledge of the ICT research landscape in Europe, the policies of funding agencies and the strategic positioning of research organisations in Europe
- Excellent skills in leadership and strategic thinking
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong financial management skills to deliver complex multimillion euro projects within budget under strict budgetary controls
- Excellent communication skills to interact with stakeholders and researchers both internally within Tyndall and externally spanning the highest level management in academia, funding agencies, government departments and external expert panels.
- Track record of EU level engagement with senior European Commission officials (e.g.: Directors/Heads of Unit), high level industry executives and research directors from other research organisations across Europe
- Excellent report writing skills for a range of stakeholders, both political and technical, including for senior management, scientific community and general public
- A PhD in a relevant technical discipline
- Formal project/programme management training
Closing Date for Applications is 5.00pm on 17th December, 2018.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Graeme Maxwell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointment may be made on the Senior Admin Scale IV (A) €76,088- €90,949; Senior Admin Scale IV (B) €79,957-€95,601. For new entrants to the public service, the successful appointment will be at the first point of the scale.
Step 1- click here to download and complete the Application form
Step 2 - return completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.