JBU-12 Senior Researcher in Antenna Design
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
The Tyndall National Institute, at University College, Cork is a world leader in the development of wireless sensor systems. Working closely with a global range of academic, business and clinical partners, our technology is under evaluation by several multinational corporations and is approaching market readiness in a number of areas.
The WSN group invites applications for appointment as Senior Postdoctoral Researcher in Antenna Design. The applied research program will focus on solving the technical challenges associated with Antenna Design, Simulation and Measurement in this exciting and rapidly expanding R&D field.
Duration: This is an initial 24-month contract with scope for extension subject to performance and funding secured.
Reporting to the WSN Head of Group, this is an exciting opportunity to help define and implement an antenna research program in this fast-moving, industrially relevant area of wearable sensing systems.
The successful candidate will work with and help drive the research agenda for a team of multi-disciplinary researchers with expertise in Antenna Engineering. The WSN Group is comprised of engineers, researchers and postgraduate students with various levels of experience and qualifications.
Specific activities for this position will include applied antenna research, project management, research proposal writing, student supervision, travel to international conferences, workshops, industry meetings, proposal project meetings and dissemination of the group’s activities in high impact journal and conference publications as well as Education and Public Engagement activities.
- The successful candidate will have significant expertise in fundamental electromagnetic and antenna theory as well as the specification, design, simulation and characterization of highly integrated antenna solutions for a wide range of applications ranging from environmental monitoring to biomedical system applications
- Reporting to the Team Leader of the RF Circuits and Systems Team and Group Head, the candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day applied research and technical project management of research projects related to antenna design
- Responsible for driving strategy for future research in the team, defining new research areas and securing grant funding for the team and WSN group
- Act as Principal Investigator and project manager of nationally and internally funded H2020 research projects
- Work with international partners to form new international research collaborations
- Be responsible for growing the Antenna and RF team, attracting talented new team members and expanding the team to add new research capabilities and infrastructure development
- Ensuring the successful completion of research projects in terms of technical deliverables, publications and dissemination of results
- Enhance Tyndall’s position internationally as a world leader in Antenna Design
- Work with Tyndall’s industry partners (existing and planned) to identify their Connected Health needs (technologies and applications)
- Publish in Tier-1 journals and conferences in the field of Antennas and Propagation
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post
- Minimum requirement of a PhD in Electrical/Electronic Engineering/Electromagnetics or relevant experience in the area of Antenna and Microwave Engineering
- Typically, with 5 years demonstrated experience in Antenna Design is required
- A demonstrated track record in the design of electrically small antennas for biomedical applications is an essential requirement
- A demonstrated experience in research strategy definition, research proposal development and a significant publication track record is also a minimum requirement
- Strong knowledge of Antenna and Electromagnetics Theory
- Significant knowledge in area of Computational Electromagnetic antenna model development for bio-implantable applications using custom Matlab models
- Expert-level knowledge of Electromagnetic (EM) antenna modelling using CST Microwave Studio and ANSYS HFSS
- Strong knowledge and experience of state-of-the-art Antenna Measurement Techniques and equipment such as anechoic chamber measurements and RF/Microwave test equipment
- Modelling and analysis of the EM effects of the Human Body is an essential requirement
- The successful candidate will be highly analytical and motivated with good interpersonal and organizational skills and be self-managed and achievement oriented
- High levels of initiative, self-management, achievement-orientation, and motivation are desirable
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Capability of working effectively within a team to achieve results
- The candidate will need to have demonstrated a strong capability for independent thinking, research project development, implementation and management
- Strong record of student supervision
- Excellent Project Management skills are a key requirement including, research proposal writing, work package and deliverable definition, project management, scheduling capability, report writing, documentation and communication skills for interaction with internal and external partners are essential
- Strong ability for proposal writing, forming new international collaborations and defining new research capabilities
- Ability to resource and attract new talent to the team and the ability to define new infrastructure development
Appointment may be made on the Senior Post Doctorate Researcher salary scale €46,337 – €49.048 per annum. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
For further queries please email John Buckley at email@example.com
Closing date of applications is 30th September, 2020.
Step 1 - click here to download and complete the Application form and indicate JBU-12 as the Job Reference
Step 2 – return completed Application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.