MSC-01 Electron Microscopy Technician
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
Purpose of Role
Reporting to the Senior Electron Microscopist, the successful candidate will be working in the Electron Microscopy and Analysis Facility in Tyndall, and will be a member of a small team of people responsible for all aspects of electron microscopy to ISO9001/2015 standards. The role requires the ability to organise tasks, trouble-shoot/problem-solve and carry out technical work to a high level of precision and accuracy.
- Performs tasks in accordance with specifications and procedures, including:
- Sample preparation for microscopic examination and acquisition of high-resolution images as required
- Development and implementation of new specimen preparation techniques
- Review of literature as required and development of new techniques to improve image resolution
- Support the setup, operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and determination of service needs for the microscopy suite, which will include a transmission electron microscope, a high resolution scanning electron microscope and a dual-beam focused ion beam.
- Work with customers of the facility to optimise it’s efficient and safe use and to produce results in an accurate and timely manner
- Promote a high level ofhousekeeping in laboratory areas
- Procuring and maintaining stocks of spares and consumables and laboratory equipment in a timely manner to ensure efficiency and minimum disruption
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor/Group Head/Centre Head
- Ensures traceability by completion of all logs/forms and use of electronic work flow systems
Customers / Users
- Support manager with all customer and user interactions as required
- Provide input to facilitate work up of job costs as required
- Support training programmes for the users and researchers applying for equipment access as appropriate.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management System.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards including generation and review of Risk Assessments (RAs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Degree in a science or engineering discipline
- At least two years of experience in in electron microscopy, with particular experience in sample preparation.
- MSc in ICT related discipline
- Experience of operating electronic workflow systems.
- Excellent computational skills involving data manipulation.
- Ability to learn and apply new concepts.
- The ability to work both on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Good organisational and planning skills.
- Track record of flexibility and adaptability
- Excellent communication skills
Appointment may be made on the Technical Officer (scale B) €39,552- €54,641. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Step 1- click here to download and complete the Application form. Indicate the Job Reference as MSC-01.
Step 2 - return completed Application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.