PMO-13 Financial Coordinator - IPIC & Tyndall Photonics Centre
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
Tyndall National Institute (Tyndall) is seeking an experienced financial administrator to support the activities of both the Photonics Centre and the Irish Photonic Integration Centre (IPIC), a Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) funded research centre based at Tyndall, and which includes partner institutions Cork Institute of Technology, Dublin City University, Trinity College Dublin and University College Cork. IPIC brings together 200 researchers and over 30 industry partners to focus on the development of photonic science and technology for applications in communications and medical devices. IPIC’s ambition is to become a world leader in both leading-edge photonics-related science and the exploitation of industry-relevant technology, with a target to deliver measurable and visible economic impact in Ireland.
Reporting to the IPIC Centre Manager and Tyndall Finance Manager, the post holder will be responsible for the financial administration of a significant Centre budget and associated research projects, totally an annual turnover of over €15M. The role will include responsibility for budget planning, expenditure monitoring, financial and Key Performance Indicator (KPI) reporting. The successful applicant will work directly on a day to day basis with members of the IPIC Operations and Tyndall Finance Team, as well as the finance offices within partner institutions on operational matters as required.
- Management of research project budgets:
- Ensure adherence to grant terms and conditions
- Create new accounts and manage ongoing budget changes and instructions
- Secure contributions from industry partners
- Monitor and report spend versus budget for all Photonics projects, highlighting any issues and work with project manager and finance to resolve
- Work with individual researchers and project managers to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of budgets
- Deal with financial queries from staff and external contacts
- Ensure partner contributions where applicable are up to date
- Financial reporting:
- Co-ordination and preparation of detailed financial reports for submission to relevant funding agencies and combining multiple accounts across multiple cost centres and academic institutions
- Generation and on-going review of financial budgets/projections/reports with relevant project managers
- Co-ordination of financial reports from industry and academic partners for submission to funding agencies to strict deadlines
- Develop and maintain good working relations with partner institution finance offices
- Liaise with the Tyndall Finance Office and adhere to Tyndall’s quality driven financial processes and procedures
- KPI Reporting
- Assemble IPIC’s key performance indicators, covering outputs such as publications, number of PhD trainees and industry income, every half year
- Upload data onto SFI’s database (SESAME)
- Become a SESAME ‘super-user’ and attend quarterly meetings with SFI
- Project proposal budgeting:
- Ensure accurate and complete budgets, using defined costing models, are applied for all proposal costings in conjunction with project managers
- Adjust budgets to fit with funding call templates, terms and conditions
- Provide budgetary support to proposal bids relating to national and international funding calls
- Financial operations support:
- Implement and maintain systems and procedures to deliver efficient and robust financial management of projects
- Carry out all required financial administration, including journals, correspondence, and query resolution
- Ensure strict financial and administrative controls are applied
- Develop quarterly financial tracking plans for all projects
- Develop and maintain an efficient tracking and filing system on all financial matters to allow for immediate access and retrieval of documentation
- Undertake other appropriate duties as assigned from time to time
- Relevant Third level educational qualifications
- Demonstrate excellent IT skills and in particular proficiency with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a comparable role and ideally in a finance functionKnowledge of funded research programmes with experience of related financial guidelines, reporting and audit requirements
- Experience with financial reporting applications (e.g. Unit 4 Agresso)
- Experience with budget preparation, costings and contract co-ordination
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively when under pressure and on own initiative so as to adhere to multiple deadlines
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills as the role requires the post holder to have widespread interaction and create relationships with senior personnel both inside and outside Tyndall
- Confidentiality and discretion is an integral part of the job
- Professional, motivated, a good communicator and flexible in approach to work.
- Proven ability to work independently, as part of a team, and ability to interact with stakeholders from a range of disciplines
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with an eye for detail
- Experience of SFI’s SESAME system or similar
- Experience of managing research project award budgets
Appointment may be made on the Grade 5 Admin Scale (€41,675 - €51,357). In all instances the successful appointment will be at the first point of the scale.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Patrick Morrissey at email@example.com
Closing Date for applications is 17:00 on 12th April, 2019.
Step 1 - click here to download and complete the Application form and indicate the Job Reference PMO-13
Step 2 - return the completed Application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted. No late applications will be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.