PT-34 Senior Head of Photonic Packaging and Systems Integration Group
Contract Type: Full Time/Fixed Term
Reporting to the Head of the Photonics Centre at Tyndall, you will lead the development of the Photonic Packaging and System Integration Group at Tyndall National Institute in accordance with the Institute’s strategic growth plan, ‘Tyndall 2025’, which aims to double Tyndall’s size and impact over the next five years. Photonics research and innovation will be a significant driver of this expansion, and includes a major focus on addressing key roadblocks to low cost, wafer-scale photonic-electronic packaging and systems integration which is expected to open important new application opportunities in ICT, MedTech and many other economically important sectors. As the Senior Head of Photonic Packaging and Systems Integration at Tyndall you will be an internationally recognised and visionary leader in the field. You will be responsible for driving research and industrial engagement strategy as well as people development strategy which will lead to an overall expansion in the size and impact of the Photonic Packaging and System Integration Group as well as ensuring its long-term sustainability.
You will attract funding and recruit staff and students to grow the research group in defined focus areas with the ambition to grow to 20+ researchers by 2025. With your growing team, you will address the fundamental challenges in the photonic packaging and systems integration field, with potential for major economic and societal impact, and create innovations that achieve significant (e.g. >10x) improvements over state-of-the-art. In addition, you will develop strategic partnerships and collaborations with industry partners, and lead the commercialisation of new ideas and innovations through the creation of high value spin-ins and start-ups with global reach.
As a senior research leader within Tyndall you will be a major contributor to creating and executing Tyndall’s strategic research vision. You will help develop and expand our vibrant world-class research ecosystem and community of 600 staff and postgraduate students. Tyndall’s research activities span from atoms to systems with multidisciplinary teams and collaborations spanning Micro & Nano Systems, Photonics, Systems Integration and Packaging, Quantum Engineering and Energy. You will be pivotal in fostering and developing deep collaborations across all of Tyndall’s research teams, as well as nationally through SFI research centres such as IPIC, and internationally through programmes such as the Horizon Europe funding framework.
The post offers a superb opportunity for an accomplished and ambitious research leader to realise their research vision working on disruptive and transformative new technologies at the interface between academia and industry.
- The development of a credible and ambitious strategic research vision for photonic packaging and systems integration research within Tyndall that leverages the unique infrastructure, capabilities and full range of expertise of the Institute.
- Strategic leadership and management of the Photonic Packaging and Systems Integration Group, with responsibility for scaling it to further grow its reputation as a world leading research lab with 20+ researchers and engineers by 2025, in accordance with the Institute’s strategic plan, Tyndall 2025.
- As a senior research leader within Tyndall ensure the delivery of the Tyndall 2025 strategic plan, leading and participating in strategic actions or working groups as requested by the CEO or nominee.
- Attract, retain and lead high calibre talent including research staff and post-graduate students, and grow and develop research leaders of all levels within Tyndall, providing leadership, management, coaching, and mentoring as required. Specifically ensure the development of a team structure within the Photonic Packaging and Systems Integration Group led by a cohort of future leaders and support their development as independent researchers to ensure the long term sustainability of the group.
- Create a team culture that results in high quality postgraduate training and supervision and where professional / personal / career development is a priority.
- Lead and/or lead others in successful bids for competitive large scale (multi-million €) grants/awards from national and European funding sources, and Industry to increase the scale of the Group and to ensure its long term sustainability.
- Ensure that the team develop breakthrough technologies with industry and academic partners in electronic-photonic integration and packaging, resulting in new ideas and solutions for sectors such as manufacturing, ICT and Medtech.
- Ensure that the team develop novel intellectual property and impactful innovations and support their commercialisation through high value start-ups with global reach or licencing.
- Lead initiatives resulting in the attraction of new companies to set-up in Ireland and generally work actively to support the growth of the photonics industry sector in Ireland.
- Ensure the production of excellent research outcomes as evidenced by influential or milestone publications in leading journals and conferences.
- Ensure that the Group enjoys strong partnerships and collaborations across Tyndall’s other research groups and within the SFI IPIC centre.
- Act as Photonic Packaging and Hybrid Integration research theme leader and Co-Deputy Director within IPIC supporting the Director to achieve the goals of the programme and to successfully deliver Phase 3 funding in 2025.
- Promote Tyndall, the Photonic Packaging and Systems Integration Group and IPIC within the international research community and nationally across wider society.
- Ensure high levels of Education and Public Engagement (EPE) activity across the Photonics Packaging and Integration Group in coordination with the wider EPE programmes within Tyndall and IPIC.
- Ensure compliance with Tyndall’s Health and Safety standards and with Tyndall’s Quality Management System with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A PhD in Physics, Electronic Engineering or a closely related topic.
- Excellent and growing international research profile as evidenced by invited talks and publications, awards or prizes, patents or other outputs relating to photonics packaging and system integration or a closely related area.
- Substantial senior experience in creating and leading world-class international research teams in an academic or industrial research environment or setting.
- Leadership of successful funding applications for substantial research projects funded by national and international agencies and industry.
- Leadership of international road-mapping and direction-setting initiatives including industry-focused workshops and panels and international standardisation activities.
- Strong evidence of successful management of, or personal experience of, innovation or commercialisation of IP evidenced by patent portfolio development, licensing wins or successful technology transfer of research outcomes into products with major industrial success.
- Demonstrated ability to develop world-class research leaders and to lead, inspire and mentor early career staff or students.
- Direct experience of postgraduate supervision and mentoring up to PhD level.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Paul Townsend at email@example.com
Appointment may be made on the Grade 9 (Snr Admin III) Scale B range €76,824 - €107,749 per annum. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Closing date for application is 1pm on 6th November 2020
Step 1 - click here to download and complete the application form and indicate Job Reference PT-34
Step 2 - return the completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted. No late applications will be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.