COMU-3 Senior Researcher Piezoelectric Materials for MEMS
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
Tyndall National Institute is a leading European research centre in integrated ICT (Information and Communications Technology) hardware and systems. Specialising in both electronics and photonics – materials, devices, circuits and systems – we are globally leading in our core research areas of:
- Smart sensors and systems
- Optical communication systems
- Mixed signal and analog circuit design
- Microelectronic and photonic integration
- Semiconductor wafer fabrication
- Nano materials and device processing
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork has an established PiezoMEMS team who for many years have been developing various types of smart materials with a focus on piezoelectrics. The team specializes primarily in the deposition of CMOS compatible Aluminium Nitride material and its integration into various devices such as vibrational energy harvesters, acoustic resonators, ultrasonic transducers and actuators. The team also worked with other piezoelectric materials such as PVDF, PZT, Lithium Niobate, and quartz. The primary goal is to further optimize and enhance the piezoelectric properties of Aluminium Nitride and develop fabrication and integration methods for other piezoelectric materials for MEMS applications.
Funding for this work has been provided by global industry players, Science Foundation Ireland, Enterprise Ireland and the EU H2020 programme.
The Group now wishes to hire a Senior Researcher in Piezoelectric Materials for MEMS processes and applications development.
Reporting to the Head of the Heterogeneous Integration Group, the Senior Researcher will be responsible for the management and delivery of all aspects of basic materials R&D, process design and development and device fabrication of piezo components using both existing and novel materials deposition, characterisation, MEMS and microsystem techniques and technologies.
- To lead Aluminium Nitride materials research and development.
- To lead development and integration of other piezoelectric materials for MEMS applications
- Own the management and delivery of all fabrication-related activities including process design, development and fabrication of proof-of-concept piezoelectric based devices and prototypes for applications such as energy harvesting, sensors, resonators and ultrasonic transducers.
- To lead, define, manage and deliver project tasks, deliverables including reports, process documentation, intellectual property capture (both know-how and patents), technical publications and presentations for both internal and external customers
- Build close working relationships with the program manager, principle investigators, researchers and students, and with Business Development/ industry partners.
- Manage liaison with other relevant process development Tyndall teams i.e. MEMS, Microsystems, Thin Film Fabrication, Test and Characterisation, Packaging and Failure Analysis.
- Support the engagement with external project partners, in academia and industry, contributing to preparation of proposals, statements of work, costings and quotations.
- Play a central role in the technology transfer to high volume manufacturing as required.
- Actively pursue funding applications from Irish and/or international agencies and/or industry to support the existing and new research fields in terms of novel materials, devices and applications.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post i.e. procurement, training, risk assessments, equipment qualifications.
- Flexibility and adaptability in provision of technical support including a willingness to work flexible hours maybe required.
- Ensure compliance with Tyndall’s Health and Safety standards and with Tyndall’s Quality Management System with a focus on continuous improvement.
- PhD Qualified , in Engineering, Science, Physics or related discipline.
- Min. 8 years of hands-on experience in a commercial or R&D wafer fabrication facility in one or more of the following process technologies:
- semiconductor fabrication
- Piezoelectric technologies
- process engineering
- component design, test and characterisation
- Demonstrated knowledge of the theory and application fields for piezoelectric based MEMS devices and technologies.
- Track record of publications in journals, conferences or patents.
- Demonstrated ability to play a lead role in high performing, cross-functional teams (including PIs, researchers, engineers and graduate students) to collaboratively develop novel technologies, processes and devices.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to work on own initiative as well as in teams, with a track record of successful project completion and a focus on delivery of projects on schedule and within budget
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including successful negotiation with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Proven ability in report writing, process documentation, operating procedures, publications and presentations.
- Demonstrated success in acquiring research funding from competitive National / International / Industry sources.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-functional teams including industry partners in advanced MEMS based projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of idea-generation and problem solving techniques.
- Experience of technology transfer, IP and patent processes.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Cian O’ Murchú at email@example.com
Appointment may be made on the Grade 6a scale (B) €58,217 - €73,493. In all instances the successful appointment will be at the first point of the scale.
Step 1 - click here to download and complete the application form
Step 2 - return the completed applicaiton form, together with your cv and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
For an information package including full details of the post, selection criteria and application process click here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
Please note that an appointment to posts advertised will be dependent on University approval, together with the terms of the employment control framework for the higher education sector.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.