ST-12 Applications Engineer - Wearable Data Analytics
Contract Type: Full Time Fixed Term
The Tyndall National Institute is a world leader in the development of Smart Sensing systems for use in the body, on the body and around the body. Working closely with a global range of academic, business and clinical partners, our technology is under evaluation by several multinational corporations and is approaching market readiness in a number of areas including Connected IOT, Smart Agriculture, Industry 4.0, Environmental sensing and wearable sensing for fitness and health.
The Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) group has recently secured funded proposals in the development of Wearable systems from a variety of national funding agencies (Enterprise Ireland, Science Foundation Ireland, Irish Research Centre) as well as international funding agencies (Horizon2020, ECSEL). In these projects the WSN group is carrying out multi-disciplinary research projects in both applied and fundamental research activities associated with Wearable Smart Systems integration, embedded computing, and edge analytics.
The WSN group is looking to recruit an Applications Engineer to develop the necessary data analytics aspects in a number of projects in the delivery of disruptive research in wearable systems for healthcare.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Reporting to the WSN Head of Group or his nominee, this is an exciting opportunity to help define and implement applied research projects in a variety of fast-moving, industrially relevant areas. Working with the Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Head of Group and industry applied research team, the successful candidate will be part of a team of multi-disciplinary industry aligned researchers with expertise in microsystems technology, wireless sensors, electronics and low-power system hardware and software design to execute industry defined applied research projects. The team comprises of engineers, researchers and postgraduate students with various levels of experience and qualifications.
Activities will include applied wearable research implementation, hardware/software co-design of embedded systems, and travel to international conferences, workshops, industry meetings, proposal project meetings, to strategically position Tyndall WSN as a world-leading industry-focused applied research group.
- To work under the direction of the Principal Investigator/Project/Team Leader using Machine Learning and/or Data Science to create novel algorithms to drive the established research agenda in the wearables in healthcare and well-being contexts
- Work with project managers in conjunction with senior researchers and Tyndall’s industry/research partners (existing and planned) to deliver their data analytics needs with respect to wearable systems (technologies and applications).
- The candidate will be required to undertake the system specification, design, implementation, test and deployment of innovative algorithms for wearables in healthcare and well-being contexts which meet the needs of our industrial partners under the guidance and supervision of senior researchers
- To validate reliability and performance under laboratory conditions and on-the-field
- To work efficiently with other team members in the software, hardware and testing development
- To provide assistance in planning, organizing, appropriate demonstrators, and communicating Tyndall’s research activities as part of the groups outreach programs
- To support the transfer of knowledge and design practices to newly appointed staff and students
- To contribute to the engagement on intellectual property activities in partnership with the Office of Technology Transfer
- To liaise with research partners and relevant stakeholders at a technical level and manage communication with relevant parties
- To engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator or supervisor in order to develop research skills and competencies.
- To carry out administrative work to support the program of research and help ensure all relevant project deliverables and milestones are achieved in a timely manner.
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system and required Health & Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- An Honours primary degree in Electrical and Electronic/Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Data Analytics or related discipline.
- Typically 1.5 years’ experience in developing complex software systems, development, characterization, test, and deployment.
- Experience in physiological sensing and biomechanics.
- Proven experience with Machine Learning and Data Science– evidence of data modelling and evaluation skills.
- Proven experience in the use of at least three tools among Matlab, R, C, Java (Weka), Python (pandas, sklearn, tensorflow).
- Proven experience in the development of complex algorithms using wearable sensors.
- Experience with relevant lab equipment.
- An ability to work independently to a tight schedule.
- A demonstrated capability in the delivery of research projects.
- Proven participation in team projects in the development of applied engineering research and delivery of expected milestones in a timely manner.
- Capability of working effectively within a team to achieve results.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivation, initiative, and being achievement-oriented.
- Strong publication record
- Prior experience of working with/in industry.
- Past experience in deep learning is highly advantageous.
- Past experience in wearable technology applications is also highly advantageous.
- Past experience in interacting with business stakeholders, as well as other stakeholders, such as clinicians, patients and sport scientists, is also a plus.
Appointment may be made on the Senior Executive Scale B (new entrants) salary scale €32,006-€45,729 per annum. In all instances the successful appointment will be at the first point of the scale.
For further information and informal enquiries please contact Salvatore Tedesco at firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 1 - Click here to download the Application form and indicate the Job reference ST-12.
Step 2 - Return the completed Application form, together with your CV, motivation letter and references to email@example.com.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.