EAOR-1 PC Support & Helpdesk Specialist
Contract: Full Time/Fixed Term
PURPOSE OF ROLE
Reporting to the IT Manager, the purpose of the role will be to provide email/ telephone and desktop support and training to all staff members, students and visitors to the Institute.
The successful candidate will:
Ensure the day to day running of all pcs, laptops, tablets, phones and lab equipment in the Institute, carry out daily administration tasks, perform security analysis, document internal Institute systems and procedures and troubleshoot network issues across all platforms.
Maintain computer hardware and software and undertake other appropriate duties as assigned by the IT manager.
- Providing desktop support, email, remote and telephone support for all staff, students and visitors to the Institute.
- Training and orienting new staff and students on hardware and software systems within the Institute.
- System maintenance/upgrades and installations of all PCs/ Laptops and Lab Equipment (both Hardware and Software).
- Troubleshooting WAN/LAN and TCP/IP connectivity issues across a variety of technologies and platforms.
- Liaising and managing support and maintenance calls with 3rd party vendors.
- Ensuring the implementation and support of security standards (anti-virus/anti-spam/firewall/software patching) to help maintain the overall integrity of the Institute’s infrastructure.
- Assisting with procurement and management of consumables in accordance with stocking levels.
- Training and providing technical support to end users in developing and publishing their web content.
- Integration of laboratory hardware and software based test, measurement and control applications at system and network level.
- Providing wireless access accounts setup and configuration for all staff, students and visitors to the Institute.
- Administration of User Access rights and Permissions for programs, directories and network shares.
- Data Recovery in the case of accidental data loss or hardware failure of storage media.
- Installing, maintaining and replacing IT peripherals on staff desks e.g. Scanners, Printers, Tablets etc.
- Providing on-going documentation of fixes and procedures for new and recurring problems.
- Maintaining Inventory Management of Hardware (laptops/desktops/monitors etc.) using the IT Asset Register.
- Ensuring migration of operating systems Institute-wide which have reached their ‘end of service life’.
- Providing web access administration using web filtering and monitoring Tools.
- VPN Installation and remote access configuration of user accounts.
- Configuration of email/MS exchange accounts on smart/mobile phones for staff and students.
- Supporting Audio/Visual/IT equipment in the Tyndall Campus conference rooms.
- Providing soft-phone system setup, installation, configuration and support.
- Fielding and networking switch port patching.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A minimum of a Certificate/Diploma in an appropriate IT related area.
- Typically with 2 years’ experience in a similar role.
- In depth knowledge of Multiple Windows Operating Systems.
- A strong understanding of hardware and software functionality.
- Evidence of excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Evidence of documentation and communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to multi-task, work as an individual and as part of a team.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of Active Directory.
- Microsoft Certification.
- Dell Certification.
- Knowledge of Networking Protocols and Windows Deployment Services.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux, Antivirus and Security Essentials, VPN and Website Development.
Appointment may be made on the Senior Executive Scale B (new entrants) €32,646 - €46,643 per annum. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to email@example.com.
Closing date of application is 27th April, 2021.
Step 1 - Click here to download and complete the application form and indicate Job Reference EAOR-1.
Step 2 - Return the completed application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
A full candidate information pack is available to download by clicking here.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
At this time, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer