JM - 02 Head of Group Research – Analog Mixed-Signal Circuits
Contract: Full Time/Specified Purpose tied to MCCI (Microelectronic Circuits Centre Ireland) core grant funding
Microelectronic Circuits Centre Ireland (MCCI) is an EI (Enterprise Ireland) / IDA technology centre hosted at Tyndall National Institute. MCCI actively collaborates with 26 member companies. Our dynamic, collaborative research agenda addresses key challenges in Wireless Communications, Biomedical & Medical Sensor Technology, Smart Agriculture, Industry 4.0 and Energy Management.
Using 5G wireless broadband and fast local microprocessors, coupled with data signal processing and artificial intelligence (AI) close to where sensors measure, has led to the evolution of new intelligent, distributed, processing system architectures that offer higher energy efficiency and lower latency. This transformation, known as the “Intelligent Edge” or “True Digital Revolution,” offers the possibility of massively-connected smart sensor systems. These technology trends present new research challenges and opportunities for analog circuit design, signal processing and wireless communications.
Cold Computing is another research theme for MCCI, with cryogenic CMOS circuit design a priority. MCCI infrastructure includes a cryogenic laboratory with a state-of-the-art cryogenic test chamber.
MCCI is focused on recruiting and developing talented researchers in IC (Integrated Circuit) design. Many of our staff and student researchers pursue careers in the thriving semiconductor industry in Ireland and abroad.
MCCI invites applications for a Head of Group Research – Analog Mixed-Signal Circuits.
Based at Tyndall National Institute, Cork, the Head of Group will be responsible for leading and growing the current team to advance the state of the art in integrated analog precision circuits and data converters. Reporting to the MCCI Director, the Head of Group will operate within Tyndall’s research structures which are evolving as the institute increases in scale, aligned to Tyndall 2025 Strategy.
In this role, the successful candidate will:
- Define and develop a world-class Precision Analog Mixed Signal Circuits Research Strategy and research roadmap and explore other circuit design research areas, i.e. RF and Power management.
- Drive the strategy by engaging with industry to identify research needs and technology challenges where research excellence with impact is required for next generation circuits;
- Ensure growth of the number of high-quality publications from the research, collaborations with academic and industrial partners and increased funding to expand the group and own the long-term vison and roadmap.
- Be responsible for hiring, supervising, and developing research post graduate students (Masters and PhDs), as well as research staff (post-docs and senior researchers);
- Build on MCCI’s collaborations with the large base of semiconductor companies in the Munster region to develop strategic research partnerships, including focus on future technology horizons, and applications that are a good strategic fit.
- Define the precision Analog Mixed Signal Circuits design research agenda for chemo- and bio-sensors, the Intelligent Edge, and Cryogenic CMOS for Cold Computing.
- Develop and implement a research and funding roadmap for the precision circuits group in conjunction with industry partners, the MCCI Director and the wider Tyndall research community and external academic partners.
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with the large base of semiconductor companies in existence in the Cork and Munster region.
- Create a world-class research profile, enabling engagement and recruitment of high value research postgrads and staff to develop world-class research IC design team.
- Generate internationally distinctive and impactful research outputs, including academic publications in leading IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) conferences and journals such as ISSCC, JSSC, ESSCIRC.
- Develop IP for commercialisation.
- Exploit research funding opportunities from State agencies, Horizon Europe, and industrial partners. Manage research budgets, ensuring efficient allocation of resources and accounting oversight.
- Build relationships with other research groups both nationally and internationally including the creation of collaborative projects and funding opportunities.
- Ensuring that the Group’s student supervision and teaching quality is extremely high.
- Develop Education and Public Engagement activities aligned to research experience and knowledge strengthening MCCI and Tyndall’s EPE strategy which adds profile value to MCCI.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system and with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional Centre duties as required within the general scope and level of the post as agreed with the MCCI Director and the Tyndall senior management team.
- Internationally recognised Industry experience and/or a PhD (Science / Engineering)
- Significant industry or post-doctoral experience (benchmark over a ten-year career span), or equivalent, in Precision analog IC design or research activities – mixed signal analog circuits.
- Extensive knowledge of analog mixed-signal circuits, and data converters, as they pertain to applications such as Communications, Medical technology, IOT smart sensors and Industrial applications, or other domains.
- Evidence of establishing strategy and implementation plans for technology development and/or research.
- Evidence of technical leadership in an Industry design engineering role or in academic research settings, and experience of leading in a development team environment where creativity in circuit design innovation was required in key applications.
- Evidence of collaboration and ability to develop strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, demonstrating success in managing multi-disciplinary research teams.
- Several years’ successful record of accomplishment as a Senior Staff Member.
- Extensive understanding of the national or international context of research.
- Evidence of driving a precision analog and convertor development or research agenda
- Experience in electronic design in key applications is desirable in any of these, e.g., Industrial 4.0, Internet of Things, Medical/Bio-Medical Technology, Smart Agriculture, Ultra-Low Power, Energy Harvesting and Data Storage.
- Flexible and adaptive with a positive approach to managing substantial projects and associated resources.
Informal enquiries can be directed to the MCCI Director, John Morrissey (John.Morrissey@mcci.ie).
Appointment may be made on the Senior Admin IV Grade Scale B (new entrants) salary scale €90,360 to €108,621 per annum. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
Closing date of application is 5th June 2023
Step 1 - Click here to download and complete the Application form and indicate JM-02 as the Job Reference
Step 2 - Return completed Application form, together with your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.
Please ensure that your motivation letter, CV and application letter are submitted in pdf format.
Please note that Garda vetting and/or an international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
For an information package including full details of the post, selection criteria and application process click here.
The University, at its discretion, may undertake to make an additional appointment(s) from this competition following the conclusion of the process.
Currently, Tyndall National Institute does not require the assistance of recruitment agencies.
Tyndall National Institute at University College, Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer.